I wanna be the Catharsis

Creator: Hiddow

Average Rating
8.4 / 10
Average Difficulty
66.7 / 100
     Download Game
     Speedrun Leaderboards

Tags:

Needle (21) Gimmick (8) Long (1) NoBoss (1) EasyMode (1) Chase (1) Original (1) HardMode (1) The_Water (1)

Screenshots

  • by Cortex
  • by WrathofAnubis
  • by FudgeMerchant
  • by WrathofAnubis
  • by WrathofAnubis
  • by WrathofAnubis
  • by WrathofAnubis
  • by WrathofAnubis
  • by WrathofAnubis

68 Reviews:

Bob
I really love this game. The atmosphere is very well crafted and the platforming is so unique and original for a needle game. Hiddow's talent truly shines through this game.

Read More

Tagged as: Needle
[2] Likes
Rating: 9.0 90       Difficulty: 67 67
Apr 9, 2016
Mattisticus
Hiddow really created a masterpiece with Catharsis. A problem I find with most fangames is that is doesn't capture my attention; however, Catharsis has really great pacing. The game starts off relatively easy and gradually gets harder but never goes full blown bullshit. There are a couple autoscrollers and elevators mixed in with needle screens that make it feel like a game instead of a chore.

The only screen that doesn't bode well for the game is a moving platform jump fest with walls that kill you. It seemed as if the rest of the game was very artistic but this one is not.

And if you replayed the game you'll notice that it's actually 2 games. Normal and hard are completely different!

Read More

[2] Likes
Rating: 9.0 90       Difficulty: 69 69
Feb 14, 2015
CanusAntonius
Before playing this, I had never really considered the possibility that someone could take a needle game and use it as a canvas for art, but afterward, I understand just how possible it truly is. This is by far the most beautiful platformer I have played in terms of its emotional conveyance, and it really has become a great inspiration to me. A lot of times I say to myself "look at this needle Picasso" as a way to talk about bad needle games, but now that I know an actual needle Picasso does exist I'll need to come up with a new line. Theme aside, the platforming is also some of the best stuff you can get. I had an absolute blast playing through the multiple levels of unique content that I have not gotten to experience in any other fangame.

Overall, I think this comes as close to hitting my inner pleasures as much as something like Celeste did, the platforming is fun, the visuals and music are great, and the overall emotional theme is present and powerful. Highly recommended as a game I consider to be nearly perfect.

Read More

Tagged as: Needle
[1] Like
Rating: 9.5 95       Difficulty: 66 66
Apr 17, 2021
joseph567
I didn't even care about the level design because the music and graphics fit so well. Definitely the best atmosphere you could experience in a fangame.

Read More

[1] Like
Rating: 8.5 85       Difficulty: 60 60
Nov 11, 2018
Notevenamatuer
I personally wasn't a fan of this. It sort of felt like 70% of the game was really cool and fun and the other 30% was bogged down by aidsy and semi-unbalanced saves. The atmosphere of this game is very well done though and I could definitely see why it is such an influential and important fangame in the Needle genre.

Cleared again for FSR

Read More

[1] Like
Rating: 5.0 50       Difficulty: 65 65
Feb 7, 2018